Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Up to date... May 18, 2009

Hello everyone!!!

Some mom's start their blog from the minute they find out they are pregnant. Others may begin when their precious child is born. I have chosen to start after my little guy is already 4 1/2 months old so I have many stories to get everyone up to date.

On December 29, 2008 Matthew Wayne Patterson was born at 1:51 p.m. His weight was 7 lbs 9 oz and was 18 3/4 inches long. At 37 weeks into my pregnancy we found out that he was breech so the doctor advised me to have a C-section. This terrified me because I went through the entire pregnancy not wanting a C-section. Matthew was born at 39 weeks so he was almost full term. I know there are many people who would disagree with this situation, however, I did not want to take a chance that Matthew would have problems during a regular birth and have to have an emergency C-section. We stayed in the hospital for 3 nights before we came home together. I know that we were very lucky to have such a healthy child after reading some of the other blogs on premature babies. The biggest and most surprising struggle for me was breastfeeding. Although every book I read said that babies needed to eat 8 to 12 times per day during the first few weeks that number didn't sink in until I actually had to do it that often. Man did it hurt and the nurses in the hospital were relentless but I persisted through the pain and my stubbornness and now 4 1/2 months later we are still breastfeeding and he has had NO FORMULA TO DATE...(I am so proud).

Matthew was born with a hemangiomia on his nose that was only a faint red mark at birth but by 1 month old it was bright red and raising up. We went to a dermatologist and has had laser treatments to shrink the birthmark. The doctor also put Matthew on a medicine called Propranolol that is usually used for high blood pressure problems but has recently been found to significantly shrink and reduce these types of birthmarks as well. (very quickly, I might add) In any event, the doctors told me the wrong dosage and Matthew became very groggy and even a little cold. That scared me to death until we got the dosage figured out...I kicked myself for weeks for not questioning the medication and dosage more, but who wouldn't in that situation. As you can see from the pictures the treatment is working.

Matthew at birth

Matthew at 1 month

Matthew at 2 months

Matthew at 3 months

Matthew at 4 months

Throughout the first month Matthew developed reflux. He was very uncomfortable until we put him on some medication. The first month was full of lots of crying. Although he was sleeping through the night at 6 weeks old I was very frustrated because he didn't take naps (and still don't) during the day. Everyone said that I should sleep when the baby sleeps but he didn't sleep during the day. Even though he was sleeping through the night I still couldn't sleep because I would worry that he would wake up as soon as I got to sleep.

His reflux still bothers him frequently. He has actually lost weight over the last month because of his spitting up (more like throwing up) but the doctor isn't too concerned because he looks extremely healthy. We will have him weighed again the first week in June so hopefully he will have gained at least a pound (hopefully more). We are also starting him on some solids (rice cereal and sweet potatoes) per the doctors request (both the pediatrician and GI specialist). Here are a couple of pictures of his first sweet potato encounter.

He doesn't look like he likes the new food very well but he is getting used to it as days go by. He loves rice cereal...tonight he threw a fit because the bowl was empty. Next time I will make a little bit more for him.

As for trips...Matthew has been to Alabama (from Florida) to visit my family. He and I flew up for Easter. I was very nervous flying with him but he did GREAT!!!

Then we went to Ohio for my grandmother-in-law's funeral. Luckily my husband was with us on this trip. He got to meet his cousin Benjamin who was born on the exact same day. They were so cute together...and looked like they could be brothers instead of 2nd cousins.

We have also visited my husbands father and stepmother a couple of times in Naples, FL (which is only about 2 hours away). On Thursday of this week we are traveling to Ohio again for my brother-in-law's graduation from medical school. So little Matthew Wayne will be well-traveled by his first birthday.

Our life, with Matthew, has changed dramatically but only for the better. He is truly a blessing in our life and I can't wait to see what the future has in store!!!

Below are some pictures of Matthew in all of his wonderful adventures...

Matthew's First Easter

Matthew and daddy on the airplane to Ohio

Matthew and mommy in Ohio

Matthew and mommy at Corkscrew Swamp on Mother's Day weekend

Matthew's first swim (he is trying to figure out what a waterfall is)

No comments:

Post a Comment